Lip fillers have been adopted largely by various personnel across the United Kingdom. If you are considering lip fillers, this article discusses how long they last, what they are made of, what they feel like, what to know before getting the filler, if they are reversible and the disadvantages of lip fillers.
Lip filler is a dermal filler injected into the lips to add volume and enhance the shape. Hyaluronic acid, a gel-like substance occurring in the body, is the most common type of filler. Lip injections provide a beautiful and natural look by making lips plump and hydrated. They correct asymmetric or wrinkled lips making them more attractive Lip fillers are temporary, and they last for a few months before a top-up is required. The period fillers last depend on the type of filler used, age and metabolism. As an individual age, their faces lose elastin which keeps their skin firm.
What Are Lip Fillers Made of?
Lip fillers exist in different types. Here are six common types of lip fillers;
Collagen is a type of protein found in the body naturally. They have been popular for years because they look more comfortable and natural. The effects of the injection last about three months.
Czumbel et al. (2021)stated that hyaluronic acid filler is gel-like and is used to increase the volume of lips. It minimizes signs of ageing around the mouth, giving a smooth and natural look.
Calcium hydroxyapatite filler is not permanent, but its long term. Calcium hydroxyapatite can last up to 18 months. It is a biodegradable mineral and compatible with human tissue.
Poly-L- Lactic Acid
Poly-L-lactic acid filler can be absorbed gradually to restore the formation of collagen and volume. The injections are given severally for months and can last up to two years.
Silicone Lip Fillers
Styperek et al. (2013)explained that silicone lip fillers are permanent and don’t require a top-up. They are inserted in the lips via two incisions and can be removed if a complication occurs. They have grown less popular because they feel less natural.
The fat transfer procedure involves a medical expert removing fat from other body areas and injecting it into the lips. The recovery process could take weeks. They give more permanent results, although the results are less predictable.
What Do Lip Fillers Feel Like?
Lip fillers are pain-free because a numbing cream is applied a few minutes before the procedure is done. A few days after, the swelling and pain will slowly subside. After the procedure, your health expert could give you anti-inflammatory medication to reduce swelling.
Tips Before Getting Lip Filler
Before getting the procedure done on an individual, it is important to note a few tips that will guide a person.
- In the UK, lip fillers cost between 200 to 1500 euros depending on the type of filler and how much filling you require. It is best to visit an experienced cosmetic doctor with a certified clinic.
- Have a rough idea of how the lips should look appear
- Before the appointment, one should avoid blood-thinning drugs, caffeine and alcohol because they increase the risk of bruising and bleeding.
- On the day of the procedure, do not apply makeup.
- Stay hydrated before and after the procedure. It will increase the ability to heal.
- Stay positive and have realistic expectations because a little pain and discomfort are experienced.
- Eat before the procedure because it reduces the chances of dizziness and swelling experienced after the process, which could hinder one’s eating ability.
- Be aware of possible side effects. Researching the type of filler and its side effects will help in knowing what one is getting themselves into.
- Don’t exercise immediately; exercise could increase blood flow to the lips, causing inflammation. After the procedure, time is required to help the body heal.
- Avoid messing with the area around the lips.It includes bleaching or tweezing because it can lead to irritation.
Can Lip Fillers Be Reversed?
Mehta et al. (2022) explained that lip fillers are reversible. If one is unhappy with the procedure’s outcome, an enzyme called hyaluronidase is used to dissolve the injection. It will allow your lips to be back to their original state.
Who Is Qualified to Administer Lip Fillers?
Not everyone is supposed to administer lip filler to themselves. Below are some of the medical experts allowed to perform lip filler;
- Licensed cosmetic doctors are qualified to give fillers if they have been certified by health institutions.
- Registered aesthetic practitioners are qualified. They have to have undergone training and gotten certified to perform fillers.
- Licensed cosmetic clinics; an aesthetician that has undergone training and is certified to perform lip filler.
It is important to ensure the medical expert performs the filler treatment. A wrong incision of the lip filer could cause complications.
Disadvantages of Lip Filler
- Lip fillers can be quite expensive even though they make someone look attractive. Not everyone can afford to have them.
- Though lip fillers have no long-term effects, the first few days may accompany pain, redness, swelling and bruising because of the injection
- Ashok & Gnanashanmugam (2020)explained that lip fillers are not a permanent solution. However, they can last between six to twelve months. That could be a short period, considering how expensive it can be.
- Though rare, some people experience side effects such as lumps under the skin and rashes if not injected by a medical expert.
- If the filler is injected mistakenly into a blood vessel, it can cause the death of tissue or a stroke. The chances of it happening are low, but it can happen.
Frequently Asked Questions about Lip Fillers
After How Long Can You Top Up Lip Fillers?
Lip fillers are topped up after six to twelve months to maintain their desired volume. Experts have also found that hyaluronic acid, the most common lip filler, will prompt the skin to produce collagen, making the fillers last longer.
Are Lip Fillers Painful?
Lip fillers are not painful, but a bit of discomfort is felt. The cosmetic doctor applies numbing cream before the injection, which will help with
Before booking for the procedure, make sure you research the cosmetic doctor’s experience or check for reviews, and check the products used in the type of filler you want. Be sure to get lip fillers from the best to make sure they last a bit longer; lip injections should be done by medical experts only so that they will know what to do in case of any complications. Do a proper assessment of the side effects of the procedure you want. If one gets the lip filler done and experiences intense bruising, severe pain, change in skin colour and lumps, consult the cosmetic doctor for medication.
Czumbel, L. M., Farkasdi, S., Gede, N., Mikó, A., Csupor, D., Lukács, A., … & Varga, G. (2021). Hyaluronic acid is an effective dermal filler for lip augmentation: a meta-analysis.
Karsan, N., & Ellis, D. A. (2006). The lip-cheek groove. Frontiers in surgery, 8, 681028. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.
Mehta, P., Kaplan, J. B., & Zhang-Nunes, S. (2022). Ischemic complications of dermal fillers. Plastic and Aesthetic Research, 9, 57.
Styperek, A., Bayers, S., Beer, M., & Beer, K. (2013). Nonmedical-grade injections of permanent fillers: medical and medicolegal considerations. The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, 6(4), 22.
- BeautyRollers – The Ultimate Tool for a Soothing and Glowing Skincare Experience - March 28, 2023
- Jaktogo to the rescue – no more extra charges when you fly low cost - March 16, 2023
- SYNC PR,is a Singapore PR agency and content marketing - March 16, 2023